Passports and Visas
Do I need a passport to study abroad? How do I apply for one?

Yes. You will need a valid passport to study abroad. Many countries require students to have passports that are valid for six months after the end of their study abroad program. If you have a passport, please make sure that its expiration date is at least six months after you plan to return home.

There are now two types of U.S. passports; the passport book and the passport card. The card is only valid when traveling from the U.S.A. to Mexico or Canada. If you are not studying abroad in Mexico or Canada, you will need a passport book.

You can find all the information you need to apply for, or renew, your passport on the U.S. Department of State website. Passport processing can take up to a few months so apply as early as possible!

Will I need a visa? How do I get one?

Depending on which country you are planning to visit, you may also need to a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country, formally allowing you to visit. Visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

Look through the State Department's Country Specific Information to find information about your destination. You can research the entry and exit requirements, get more details about necessary documentation, and find out how to apply. You may be able to apply online, at that country's U.S. embassy or even at the airport in the country itself once you get there (

Who will arrange my travel to/from the host country? 

You are responsible for making your own flight/travel arrangements as this is not included in the program fee.

When should I plan my travel?

Please check with your school or institution prior to making travel arrangements. We highly recommend that you purchase trip cancellation and interruption insurance in the event that your program is cancelled.