- Discover a resilient community that encompasses traditional values from both old-timers and newcomers alike
- Learn how a community can remain self-reliant in the face of impoverishment
- Analyze various methods of self-reliance and sustainable living in a rural setting
- Understand how balancing the needs of humanity with the needs of the Earth is not just a local effort, but a global one
- Participate in community-defined service projects supporting sustainable agriculture and traditional customs
There are many opportunities for rich immersion in the local community. There are projects related to developing the local food program including working at the farmers market, on the Floyd Community Garden and the Empty Bowls project; a local food sharing initiative. There are opportunities to work with the Sustain Floyd farm on projects related to environmental protection. Service can include the set-up for the Jamboree and meeting local musicians and crafts persons.